The Balkans - and not least Bulgaria - is known throughout the world for their amazing folk music. Music that is nuanced, equilibristic, complex, melodious, with an infectious energy and great emotional depth.
Orfeus Balkan Ensemble consists of five musicians with Danish and Bulgarian background, who have entered deeply into the secrets of this music and master it on a highly artistic level.
The repertoire comes from all parts of Bulgaria - and is rooted in the tradition, but also in touch with contemporary folk music, sometimes influenced with f.i. jazz. The repertoire includes new arrangements of old folk songs - and brand new pieces composed by the members of the band.
Also the instrumentarium combines traditional Bulgarian folk instruments as bagpipe and drum - with modern, accordion, or even synth.
Orfeus Balkan Ensemble has performed at concerts and music festivals in Denmark, Sweden, Bulgaria and Serbia - and in 2017 they released their first album "Zakachka"!
The band performs concerts and festive occasions - with the full cast or as as duo or trio.
Gergana Maria Ørvad was born in 2010 and has been performing Bulgarian songs since the age of 3! She has won first prize in a number of singing competitions in Bulgaria (S Pesnite na Todor Kozhuharov, Shiroka Laka Sviri, Pee i Tantsuva, Orfeevi Talanti and others.) and appears on several recordings. Gergana sings music in many different genres - but in the Bulgarian repertoire it is the music from Thrace that is closest to her heart and voice.
27.01 18.00 Trio performance at Mohabet, Copenhagen
25.05 kl. 11.00. Orfeus plays at "The Biggest Horo", Frederikberg City Square.
Links and broadcasts:
Indslag med interview BTV (bulgarsk TV 1) 16.10.17: https://btvnovinite.bg
Udsendelse med interview på Radio Beograd 2, 02.10.17 - https://www.rts.rs
ORFEUS BALKAN ENSEMBLE's first album "Zakachka" ("joke") cam out in the spring 2017, and has been very well received, in Denmark as well as in Bulgaria!
The album contains folk music from all over Bulgaria - as well as our own compositions.
Please contact us to purchase a CD - or find the album on digital platforms as Spotify or iTunes.
1. Snezhina Rachenitsa - “Balgaro-Datska Zakachka” /
Snezha’s Rachenitsa - “Bulgarian-Danish Joke” (Filip Filipov)
2. Nyamalo momtsi za Doina / There were no lads for Doina (trad.)
3. Sitno Karay Tsigularyu / Run it finely, fiddler (trad.)
4. Buchimish (trad.)
5. Shopska Suita / Suite from Shoppe region
(trad./Filip Filipov/Adam Ørvad)
6. Brala moma ruzha tsvete / A girl was picking rose flowers (trad.)
7. Pozdrav za Enis / Greetings for Enis (trad./Filip Filipov)
8. Kalino, malino / Кalina, raspberry (trad.)
9. Songs from the land of Orpheus - Suite from Rodopa Mountains (trad.)
10. Horo za Trakiytsi / Dance for Thracians (Adam Ørvad)
11. Baino mi sa i lyube le / My brother threatened me, dear (trad.)
12. Slow melody & Kopanitsa Orfeus (Filip Filipov)